What is Freelance Isn’t Free?
The Freelance Isn’t Free law can include:
- 30-Day Payment Terms Unless otherwise specified in a contract, clients must pay freelancers within 30 days of work completion.
- Mandatory Contracts Clients must use a contract when hiring a freelancer for over $800 of work and they can face fines if they refuse to provide one.
- Payment Agreement Protections Clients cannot require that freelancers accept less than they’re owed in exchange for timely payment.
- Anti-Retaliation Clients cannot retaliate against a freelancer for pursuing payment.
- Legal Assistance A city agency will investigate, may try to collect on the freelancer’s behalf, and will provide court navigation services if needed.
- Double Damages Freelancers can collect double damages and attorneys fees in court, and repeat offenders can face penalties of up to $25,000.
Ready to bring #FreelanceIsntFree to your community?
Together, we can grow the movement to help make sure freelancers everywhere get paid on time every time!
- Spread the word about Freelancers Union to your network with the hashtag #FreelanceIsntFree
- Download the Organizer’s Toolkit to learn how you can take action and become a local campaign leader